plottwist

PlotTwist

Hi, I'm Glenna. I think we're all on this site because we enjoy reading. I'm very into YA, dystopian, paranormal, fantasy and most recently, fairy-tale adaptions. I get attached to fictional characters and pretty covers.

Bone Gap
Laura Ruby
The Darkest Minds
Alexandra Bracken
The Knife of Never Letting Go
Patrick Ness
Atlantia - Ally Condie

I really, really, really wanted to like this book. I just didn't connect. The characters seemed one-dimensional (also, I truly despised all their names. Waaay to overboard with the sea/water theme) and I just couldn't picture the city of Atlantia.

This part is absolutely a personal preference but if I knew that there would be religion involved, I would have most likely not read the book at all. The polytheistic religion that was a heavy topic in the book was not well defined and there were definite holes throughout it. (Religion is a whole other discussion, but because it was such a heavily mentioned topic in the book- the protagonist's mother was even a minister- it really didn't help persuade me to like it.)

This was my first Ally Condie book. I have heard some pretty great things about her Matched trilogy, but Atlantia has led me to have some doubts.

What hurts the most is that the cover is sooo pretty... but I guess you can't judge a book by it.